[gluster-packaging] glusterfs-8.0 released

Kaleb Keithley kkeithle at redhat.com
Fri Jul 24 13:57:49 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 7:41 AM Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 7:07 AM Patrick Matthäi <patrick at linux-dev.org>
> wrote:
>

>> Am 06.07.2020 um 03:23 schrieb jenkins at build.gluster.org:
>> > SRC:
>> https://build.gluster.org/job/release-new/121/artifact/glusterfs-8.0.tar.gz
>> > HASH:
>> https://build.gluster.org/job/release-new/121/artifact/glusterfs-8.0.sha512sum
>> >
>> > This release is made off jenkins-release-121
>> >

>> Hi,
>> I have got a problem with the new libglusterd library:
>>
>> W: libglusterd0: shared-library-lacks-prerequisites
>> usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglusterd.so.0.0.1
>> N:
>> N:    The listed shared library doesn't include information about the
>> other
>> N:    libraries against which it was linked.
>> N:
>> N:    More specifically, "ldd foo.so" should report such other libraries.
>> In
>> N:    your case, it reports "statically linked".
>> N:
>> N:    The fix is to specify the libraries. One way to do so is to add
>> N:    something like "-lc" to the command-line options for "ld".
>> N:
>

> Is this a packaging problem or a build problem? Seems like a build problem.
>
> None of the other gluster shlibs on debian have this problem, and they
> aren't linked with -lc, so that seems like a red herring.
>
> And FWIW it doesn't occur on the Fedora libglusterd.so.0.0.1.

 I'm not convinced this is a problem.

I can easily contrive a shlib that has no external references. ldd on such
a shlib tells me it's "statically linked" on both Fedora and Ubuntu.

And that's what libglusterd is, a shlib with no external references.

I can add -lc, but if there are no references to libc functions, then why?
Please cite a reference that shows this is required?

Fedora's autoconf/automake/libtool has always behaved slightly differently
than Debian/Ubuntu. Fedora seems to cache and use things that Debian
doesn't. It's been a PITA sometimes figuring out why a Makefile.am that
works on Fedora doesn't work, or works differently on Debian.

I might even argue that Debian/Ubuntu is working correctly in this case and
it's Fedora that is broken.

Other libraries, e.g. libc, that don't have any external references, appear
to link with /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2. Adding this makes the ldd output
look more "normal."

Again, please file an issue in the github issue tracker.

--

Kaleb