[Gluster-users] glusterfs unusable?

Wed Mar 27 16:17:26 UTC 2019

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 07:53:55 -0700
Joe Julian <joe at julianfamily.org> wrote:

Ok Joe, this is the situation: I have a glusterfs cluster using R630
Dell servers with 256GB of memory, a bunch of 3.4TB SSD's and Intel Xeon
E5-2667 beasts. Using such power and seeing glusterfs taking 5
seconds for a simple "ls -alR" on a client directly connected over a
1Gbit cable to these servers is rather slow (this will be nominated
for The Understement Of The Week)  Rather slow, not unusable (and I
haven't even added an arbiter to these two servers yet)

OTOH, contrary to what you suggest, I'm not using a brick at home, it is
just a linux client connecting to these two servers, ok, I admit, over a
slow line. I was just looking how long it would take
before a simple "ls -alR" would take. And when this takes almost an
hour consuming 2GB upload then I think I can say it's quite unusable.

So I'm sorry Joe, I don't want to spoil your day, but I have to say
that Glusterfs (sorry for the wrong abbreviation) did spoil my day
because of this issue. Such a bad behaviour would certainly be a show
stopper.

I hope the patches will resolve these issues.

R.

richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl/