[Gluster-users] Poor and very slow performance on glusterfs mounted volume

Mathieu Chateau mathieu.chateau at lotp.fr
Wed Jan 13 07:12:36 UTC 2016

Hello,

we are aware of this, as you can find in mail list archives.

You can get things better, but not completely remove this issue for now. It
mostly depend on number of files in folder when doing ls.
Small files provide much lower performance than big one during copy & co.

Replicate option slow down read, as your client contact both servers to get
metada.

Things I did to get things better in this setup:

fstab option (on client) :
defaults,direct-io-mode=disable,_netdev,backupvolfile-server=mysecondservername
fstab option (on gluster server volumes):
 defaults,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,largeio,inode64,swalloc,allocsize=131072k,nobarrier

*sysctl (clients and servers):*
vm.swappiness=0
net.core.rmem_max=67108864
net.core.wmem_max=67108864
# increase Linux autotuning TCP buffer limit to 32MB
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 87380 33554432
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 65536 33554432
# increase the length of the processor input queue
net.core.netdev_max_backlog=30000
# recommended default congestion control is htcp
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=htcp

*Gluster volume options:*
performance.cache-size: 1GB
performance.io-thread-count: 16
performance.readdir-ahead: enable
performance.read-ahead: disable
performance.client-io-threads: on
performance.write-behind-window-size: 1MB
cluster.lookup-optimize: on
client.event-threads: 4
server.event-threads: 4
cluster.readdir-optimize: on