[Gluster-users] glusterfsd Ubuntu 18.04 high iowait issues

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at computer.org
Thu Feb 21 16:34:04 UTC 2019

Here are three profile reports from 60-second intervals:

Ubuntu 18.04 system with low load:
https://pastebin.com/XzgmjeuJ

Ubuntu 14.04 system with low load:
https://pastebin.com/5BEHDFwq

Ubuntu 14.04 system with high load:
https://pastebin.com/CFSWW4qn

Each of these systems is "gluster1" in the report. In each cluster,
there are two bricks, gluster1:/md3/gluster and gluster2:/md3/gluster.
The systems are identical hardware-wise (I noticed this morning that the
18.04 upgrade applied a powersave governor to the CPU. I changed it to
the performance governor before running the profile, but that doesn't
seem to have changed the iowait behavior or the profile report appreciably).

What jumps out at me for the 18.04 systems is:

1) The excessively high average latency of the FINODELK operations on
the *local* brick (i.e. gluster1:/md3/gluster). The latency is far lower
for these FINODELK operations against the other node's brick
(gluster2:/md3/gluster). This is puzzling to me.
2) Almost double higher average latency for FSYNC operations against
both the gluster1 and gluster2 bricks.

On the 14.04 systems, the number of FINODELK operations performed during
the 60-second interval is much lower (even on the highload system). And
the latencies are lower.

Regards,

     -Kartik