[Gluster-users] Understand Geo Replication of a big Gluster

Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar khiremat at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 13:47:42 UTC 2018

Hi Axel,

You don't need single server with 140 TB capacity for replication. The
slave (backup) is also a gluster volume similar to master volume.
So create  the slave (backup) gluster volume with 4 or more nodes to meet
the capacity of master and setup geo-rep between these two volumes.
Geo-replication is between two gluster volumes and not between gluster
volume and single node.

Thanks,
Kotresh HR

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 6:23 PM, Axel Gruber <axel at agm.de> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Im new on GlusterFS - so a warm hello to everyone here...
>
> Im testing GlusterFS since some Weeks in different configurations for a
> big Media Storage
>
> Currently for start we plan a distributed / Replicated Gluster with for
> Nodes (4x70Tb)
> I tryed this within a Test Area on differenzt Virtual Machines - works
> fine.
>
> But for security Reason we also plan Geo Replication of the Whole Gluster.
> I have read Doc  - but one thing i dont understand:
>
> For example our Start Gluster has 4 Nodes (4x70TB  Replicated and
> Distributed) i have 140TB Capacity.
>
> So when i want to Geo Replicate this Volume i dont have a sigle Server
> wich is able to store 140GB (or later more) - but i can have several Backup
> Servers with a total Sice of 140TB
>
> So my Question
>
> How can i say Gluster FS in Geo Replication to use all of this Backup
> Servers to GEO REplicate the whole Storage using all Backup Server.
>
> Best Regards

Thanks and Regards,
Kotresh H R