[Gluster-users] Rebalancing after adding larger bricks

Nithya Balachandran nbalacha at redhat.com
Fri Oct 14 16:54:11 UTC 2016

On 11 October 2016 at 22:32, Jackie Tung <jackie at drive.ai> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Thanks for that, that was educational.  Gluster docs claim that since 3.7,
> DHT hash ranges are weighted based on brick sizes by default:
>
> $ gluster volume get <vol cluster.weighted-rebalance
> Option                                  Value
>
> ------                                  -----
>
> cluster.weighted-rebalance              on
>

> When running rebalance with force, I see this in the rebalance log:

> [2016-10-11 16:38:37.655144] I [MSGID: 109045]
> [dht-selfheal.c:1751:dht_fix_layout_of_directory] 0-cronut-dht: subvolume
> 10 (cronut-replicate-10): *5721127* chunks
> [2016-10-11 16:38:37.655154] I [MSGID: 109045]
> [dht-selfheal.c:1751:dht_fix_layout_of_directory] 0-cronut-dht: subvolume
> 11 (cronut-replicate-11): *7628846* chunks
>>
> subvolume >=11 are 8TB, subvolume <= 10 is are 6TB.
>
> Do you think it is possible to even out usage on all bricks by % utilized
> now?  This would be the case if gluster rebalanced simply by what the
> scaled DHT says, including all required data migrations?

Can you please send the following:

1. The rebalance logs (/var/log/gluster/<volname>-rebalance.log) from each
node
2. The output of the following for the root of each brick:
  getfattr -e hex -m . -d <path to brick>
3. gluster volume info
4. The version of glusterfs that you are running.
5. gluster volume rebalance <volname> status

Are the file sizes more or less the same or are there large variations in
them?

Thanks,
Nithya