[Gluster-users] Unable to reset gluster node after crash as filesystem ran out of space

Abeer Mahendroo abeerm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 06:22:56 UTC 2016

Hi all.

We had a strange issue with Gluster 3.8.4 under RHEL 7.2.

Initially, the partition storing the Gluster bricks ran out of space. We
tried recovering after expanding the underlying partition. Eventually we
decided to ‘reset’ Gluster, create the volume again from scratch. I tried
purging gluster by running something like:

yum remove –y ‘glusterfs*’

rm -rf /var/lib/glusterd

rm –rf /etc/gluster*

Reinstalling gluster:

yum install –y glusterfs-server

systemctl start glusterd

Now a simple peer probe operation crashes the daemon:

$ gluster peer probe <any-valid-hostname>

Connection failed. Please check if gluster daemon is operational.

Looks like there is something I missed in the filesystem.

On a clean gluster install on another host,

$ gluster peer probe <any-valid-hostname>

peer probe: failed: Probe returned with Transport endpoint is not connected

Which is expected.

So somehow my clean install is not clean any more. This host I can rebuild,
but would be good to know the issue if this occurs on a host that cannot
easily be rebuilt.