[Gluster-users] Rebalancing after adding larger bricks

Jackie Tung jackie at drive.ai
Tue Oct 11 17:02:16 UTC 2016

Joe,

Thanks for that, that was educational.  Gluster docs claim that since 3.7, DHT hash ranges are weighted based on brick sizes by default:

$ gluster volume get <vol cluster.weighted-rebalance
Option                                  Value
------                                  -----
cluster.weighted-rebalance              on

When running rebalance with force, I see this in the rebalance log:

[2016-10-11 16:38:37.655144] I [MSGID: 109045] [dht-selfheal.c:1751:dht_fix_layout_of_directory] 0-cronut-dht: subvolume 10 (cronut-replicate-10): 5721127 chunks
[2016-10-11 16:38:37.655154] I [MSGID: 109045] [dht-selfheal.c:1751:dht_fix_layout_of_directory] 0-cronut-dht: subvolume 11 (cronut-replicate-11): 7628846 chunks
…

subvolume >=11 are 8TB, subvolume <= 10 is are 6TB.

Do you think it is possible to even out usage on all bricks by % utilized now?  This would be the case if gluster rebalanced simply by what the scaled DHT says, including all required data migrations?

It would be preferable for us to avoid having to depend on cluster.min-free-disk to manage overflow later on - as this introduces one extra read of the link followed by the actual IOP.

Thanks,
Jackie