[Gluster-users] Replicated with bricks of different sizes

Viktor Villafuerte viktor.villafuerte at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 15 02:51:09 UTC 2015

Hi John,

On Mon 15 Jun 2015 09:15:53, John Gardeniers wrote:
> We are/were running a simple 1x2 replica volume and have had a major failure
> on one of our gluster servers. We want to create a new replica, at least for
> the time being, but don't have another available server with sufficient
> drive space. Working on the assumption that we will not increase the disk
> usage, and will therefore not get anywhere near the capacity of the smaller
> server's drives, is it safe to create a replica using mismatched brick
> sizes? Will gluster even allow that?

I did bit of testing of this some time ago. Not with the lastest Gluster
mind you... You can have different size bricks in a volume but you
should always have the same size bricks in a replica.

You say that there's enough space and no space will be consumed after
etc and in theory this could work. But I wouldn't certainly recommend
this kind of setup.

> regards,
> John

Regards