[Gluster-users] Scaling for repository purposes

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 19:41:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Peter Milanese <petermilanese at nypl.org> wrote:
> Greeting-
Hey,

>  I'm relatively new to the Gluster community, and would like to investigate
> Gluster as a solution to augment our current storage systems. My use of
> Gluster has been limited to nitch use cases. Is there anybody in the
> Library/Digital Repository space that has implemented this for mass storage
> (multi-petabyte). I'd be interested in having a discussion via email if
> that's ok.

TBH, the best way to learn about Gluster is to start playing with it.
It's fairly easy to do by hand, but there is also a Puppet-Gluster
module to automate it, and it integrates with Vagrant. Disclaimer: I'm
the author of this code, so of course, I think it's a great idea to
use it.
When I first started testing gluster, this enabled me to try different
configurations and get familiar with how it works.

# the code
https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-gluster

# some related articles
https://ttboj.wordpress.com/

Try out GlusterFS, and once you've used it for a week, come back with
the harder questions :)
When you want professional support, you can also go to RedHat and get
support too! (Red Hat Storage)

HTH,
James