[Gluster-users] Gluster infrastructure question

Nux! nux at li.nux.ro
Mon Dec 9 15:44:24 UTC 2013

On 09.12.2013 13:18, Heiko Krämer wrote:
> 1)
> I'm asking me, if I can delete the raid10 on each server and create
> for each HDD a separate brick.
> In this case have a volume 80 Bricks so 4 Server x 20 HDD's. Is there
> any experience about the write throughput in a production system with
> many of bricks like in this case? In addition i'll get double of HDD
> capacity.

I have found problems with bricks to be disruptive whereas replacing a
RAID member is quite trivial. I would recommend against dropping RAID.

> 3)
> Failover of a HDD is for a raid controller with HotSpare HDD not a big
> deal. Glusterfs will rebuild automatically if a brick fails and there
> are no data present, this action will perform a lot of network traffic
> between the mirror bricks but it will handle it equal as the raid
> controller right ?

Gluster will not "rebuild automatically" a brick, you will need to
manually add/remove it.
Additionally, if a brick goes bad gluster won't do anything about it,
the affected volumes will just slow down or stop working at all.

Again, my advice is KEEP THE RAID and set up good monitoring of drives.
:)

HTH
Lucian

Nux!