[Gluster-users] Gluster infrastructure question

Heiko Krämer hkraemer at anynines.de
Mon Dec 9 13:18:28 UTC 2013

Heyho guys,

I'm running since years glusterfs in a small environment without big
problems.

Now I'm going to use glusterFS for a bigger cluster but I've some
questions :)

Environment:
* 4 Servers
* 20 x 2TB HDD, each
* Raidcontroller
* Raid 10
* 4x bricks => Replicated, Distributed volume
* Gluster 3.4

1)
I'm asking me, if I can delete the raid10 on each server and create
for each HDD a separate brick.
In this case have a volume 80 Bricks so 4 Server x 20 HDD's. Is there
any experience about the write throughput in a production system with
many of bricks like in this case? In addition i'll get double of HDD
capacity.

2)
I've heard a talk about glusterFS and out scaling. The main point was
if more bricks are in use, the scale out process will take a long
time. The problem was/is the Hash-Algo. So I'm asking me how is it if
I've one very big brick (Raid10 20TB on each server) or I've much more
bricks, what's faster and is there any issues?
Is there any experiences ?

3)
Failover of a HDD is for a raid controller with HotSpare HDD not a big
deal. Glusterfs will rebuild automatically if a brick fails and there
are no data present, this action will perform a lot of network traffic
between the mirror bricks but it will handle it equal as the raid
controller right ?

Thanks and cheers
Heiko

- --
Anynines.com

Avarteq GmbH
B.Sc. Informatik
Heiko Krämer
CIO
Twitter: @anynines

- ----
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Faißt, Dipl.-Inf.(FH) Julian Fischer
Handelsregister: AG Saarbrücken HRB 17413, Ust-IdNr.: DE262633168
Sitz: Saarbrücken