[Gluster-users] Gluster infrastructure question

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Mon Dec 9 16:09:24 UTC 2013

Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:
>On 09.12.2013 13:18, Heiko Krämer wrote:
>> 1)
>> I'm asking me, if I can delete the raid10 on each server and create
>> for each HDD a separate brick.
>> In this case have a volume 80 Bricks so 4 Server x 20 HDD's. Is there
>> any experience about the write throughput in a production system with
>> many of bricks like in this case? In addition i'll get double of HDD
>> capacity.
>
>I have found problems with bricks to be disruptive whereas replacing a
>RAID member is quite trivial. I would recommend against dropping RAID.

Brick disruption has been addressed in 3.4.

>> 3)
>> Failover of a HDD is for a raid controller with HotSpare HDD not a
>big
>> deal. Glusterfs will rebuild automatically if a brick fails and there
>> are no data present, this action will perform a lot of network
>traffic
>> between the mirror bricks but it will handle it equal as the raid
>> controller right ?
>
>Gluster will not "rebuild automatically" a brick, you will need to
>manually add/remove it.
Not exactly, but you will have to manually add an attribute and "heal...full" to re-mirror the replacement.

>Additionally, if a brick goes bad gluster won't do anything about it,
>the affected volumes will just slow down or stop working at all.

Again, addressed in 3.4.

>Again, my advice is KEEP THE RAID and set up good monitoring of drives.

I'm not arguing for or against RAID. It's another tool in our tool box. I, personally, use JBOD. Our use case has a lot of different files being used by different clients. JBOD maximizes our use of cache.