[Gluster-users] Recommended settings for geo-replication for folders with lots of files

Venky Shankar vshankar at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 06:38:19 UTC 2012

Well, you can use geo-replication to sync files from master (a GlusterFS volume) to a directory tree on a remote slave. Due to the overhead of syncing xtime (geo-rep's way of versioning ), large number of small files are sync'd in an non optimal way.

There is a tunable that speeds this up but to use that the slave needs to be GlusterFS volume. In that case doing this would speed up things:

# gluster volume geo-replication <master> <slave> config use-rsync-xattrs On

Thanks,
-Venky