[Gluster-users] Has anyone used encrypted filesystems with Gluster?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Sep 13 21:42:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 at 2:30pm, Whit Blauvelt wrote

> This may be crazy, but has anyone used filesystem encryption (e.g. LUX)
> under Gluster? Or integrated encryption with Gluster in some other way?
>
> There's a certain demand to encrypt some of our storage, in case the
> hypothetical bad guy breaks into the server room and walks out with the
> servers. Is this a case where we can have encryption's advantages _or_
> Gluster's? Or is there a practical way to have both?

I haven't, but given that Gluster runs on top of a standard FS, I don't
see any reason why this wouldn't work.  Rather than just Gluster on top of
ext3/4/XFS, it would be Gluster on top of ext3/4/XFS on top of an
LUKS encrypted partition.

The main stumbling block I see isn't Gluster related at all, it's simply
how to do an unattended boot of a system with an encrypted partition...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin