[Gluster-users] Has anyone used encrypted filesystems with Gluster?

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Thu Sep 13 23:42:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 02:42:13PM -0700, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> I haven't, but given that Gluster runs on top of a standard FS, I
> don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.  Rather than just
> Gluster on top of ext3/4/XFS, it would be Gluster on top of
> ext3/4/XFS on top of an LUKS encrypted partition.
>
> The main stumbling block I see isn't Gluster related at all, it's
> simply how to do an unattended boot of a system with an encrypted
> partition...

Yeah. But then, if it could do an unattended boot, then someone who steals
the system isn't hindered by the encryption either. So this gets into the
"On 4 a.m. reboot, automate waking an administrator" territory. Then there's
the problem of how to get Gluster to behave and wait for the underlying
storage to be mounted before trying to use it - since as I've seen it will
just use the mountpoints without the mount. But as was kindly suggested, if
the mountpoints are subdirectories rather than / of the underlying
partitions, that will stop Gluster.

Would the encrytion overhead noticeably decrease the speed of Gluster?

Whit