[Gluster-users] Shared storage for KVM

Udo Waechter udo.waechter at uni-osnabrueck.de
Wed Nov 24 18:54:13 UTC 2010

Hello Craig,

On 24.11.2010, at 01:22, Craig Carl wrote:

> Udo -
>   Starting in 3.1 we have added an RPC process that listens for changes in the cluster configuration.
[...]
> http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Installing_GlusterFS_on_Red_Hat_Package_Manager_%28RPM%29_Distributions.

Yes I know that and I really like the idea. We got to know gluster only in the 3.1 version, and what I see from the internet, all other versions were somewhat harder to manage.
Thus: great job, this (3.1) is how it should be and is.

>    We still enable a significant amount of tuning, we have just changed the way they are applied, please see - http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Setting_Volume_Options.

I know this page. Most of the options are pretty obvious and self-explaining, some are not.

cluster.stripe-block-size             ( list such as : "*.jpg:1,abc*:2" ) - I don't really get this (Block size == number of bricks?).
diagnostics.latency-measurement       ( yes/no )
diagnostics.dump-fd-stats             ( yes/no ) - what are these good for?

Some explanation for all of these options would really help.

It seems to me that in previous version one could modify volume files and create own subvolumes (different translators and such). Nowadays it seems that this is no longer possible. The documentation on the different translators seems to be all for <=3.0

What would I do if I wanted to change the number of io threads in

[...]
volume cloud-io-threads
    type performance/io-threads
    option thread-count 16
    subvolumes cloud-locks
end-volume
[...]

What happened to all these translators?
http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Translators
Are they no longer there in 3.1? Can they be configured somehow?

Anyway, I do not miss them, but from the list above it seems that some translators might be handy for some cases.

Thanks,
udo.
--
:: udo waechter - root at zoide.net :: N 52º16'30.5" E 8º3'10.1"