[Gluster-users] Shared storage for KVM

Craig Carl craig at gluster.com
Wed Nov 24 00:22:27 UTC 2010

Udo -
    Starting in 3.1 we have added an RPC process that listens for
changes in the cluster configuration. If for example you want to add
your 25th storage server to your cluster you would run `gluster peer
probe server25`. A message informing all of the nodes participating in
the cluster, both clients and servers would be sent. Every participant
would need to acknowledge that change before it was committed. The same
is true of any other type of change. We did this for a couple of
reasons, as organizations scale Gluster clusters out it won't be
reasonable to expect them to keep thousands of configuration files in
sync. Eliminating the volume files also enabled dynamic volume
management (DVM), adding and removing storage space without restarting
Gluster. If this process isn't working please make sure all the servers
can communicate on the ports detailed here -
http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Installing_GlusterFS_on_Red_Hat_Package_Manager_%28RPM%29_Distributions.

     We still enable a significant amount of tuning, we have just
changed the way they are applied, please see -
http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Setting_Volume_Options.

Thanks,

Craig

-->