[Gluster-users] Replicate over WAN?

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Fri May 7 07:43:35 UTC 2010

On 05/05/2010 20:18, Vikas Gorur wrote:

> 2) "readdir" (ls) is always sent to the first subvolume. This is
> necessary to ensure consistent inode numbers.
Uhm... Couldn't the same result be achieved storing a "virtual inode
number" in an attribute? So that it gets replicated with the rest of the
data and it makes possible to have the first subvolume always local...

I understand tht it could lead to possible problems (like "how do I
generate an inode number if the master node is missing"), but it could
open to the "replicate writes, local reads" that many people are
requesting...

The scenario to think about is a firm w/ a remote office connected via a
VPN -- if you can cut nearly all the read traffic from the VPN, then you
see a great boost in performance.

Or maybe I missed something...

--
Diego Zuccato
Servizi Informatici
mail: diego.zuccato at unibo.it

--
LA RICERCA C’È E SI VEDE:
5 per mille all'Università di Bologna - C.F.: 80007010376

Questa informativa è inserita in automatico dal sistema al fine esclusivo della realizzazione dei fini istituzionali dell’ente.