[Gluster-users] Newbie questions

pkoelle pkoelle at gmail.com
Tue May 4 13:06:14 UTC 2010

Am 04.05.2010 14:34, schrieb Count Zero:

> On May 4, 2010, at 3:25 PM, pkoelle wrote:
>
>>  From our testing we found gluster with many small files to be rather slow (GigE). Each open() will go over the network and will effectively kill read performance (5-7 MB/sec). We tried to serve webapps with many small files and startup time was not tolerable.
>

> How about performance in 'replicate' mode (AFR), where you set a preferred volume to be the local volume?
> Would you still get the same bad performance with that?
>
> It's just unclear to me in which configuration you experiences the sub-optimal performance.

Sorry, should have provided more details. Version was glusterFS 3.0.3
from git checkout. We tried 4 node (2servers/2clients) with
favorite-child and 2 node (client/server same node) with read-subvolume
pointing to the local node. (plus a boatload of variations with
translators).

But as I said, and what you can gather from the list-archives, reported
performance differs wildly so there is no way around testing your own
platform.

cheers
  Paul