[Gluster-users] Gluster setup question

Basavanagowda Kanur gowda at zresearch.com
Thu Nov 20 03:49:40 UTC 2008

Serge,
  I am assuming you are not using source code from repository.
  If you are using source code directly from repository, then answers below
might not hold good. Please mention the version, if you are using from
source repository.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:13 AM, Aleynikov, Serge <Serge.Aleynikov at gs.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I am running several clients writing to local disk that are setup to
> replicate data to N glusterfs server processes that use NFS for storing this
> data.  I have the following questions:
>
> 1. Does every write of a process to a local directory managed by glusterfs
> client involve syncronous replication of data to glusterfs server?

yes. it involves synchronous replication.

glusterfs--mailine--3.0--patch-621 (onwards) in our source repository  has
an AFR feature called quick-unwind, which would make replication
asychronous.

2. Is it possible that if NFS is slow on the glusterfs server side, then
> writing to local disk of a process on the glusterfs client's machine would
> block?

yes. fops on glusterfs will block.

> Thanks.
>
> Serge