[Gluster-users] symbolic link problems

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Tue Nov 18 05:20:52 UTC 2008

I'm testing now with qa60, so hopefully that includes the patches you
specified.
I'm testing the symbolic link issue as well as a couple other problems.

here are my findings  (my config is at the bottom of the email, but
it's a basic 2 server AFR config with each other as clients and no
other clients).

1) symlinks
I created a symlink to a non-existing file.  this went fine and
appeared on both underlying filesystems.
I removed the link from one of the underlying filesystems and tried
to do an ls of it
here's the results:
]# ls -al /home/testlink
/bin/ls: /home/testlink: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: cannot read symbolic link /home/testlink: No such file or directory
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-11-17 21:08 /home/testlink

gluster logs:
2008-11-17 21:08:41 E [posix.c:1074:posix_chmod] home1: lstat on
/gluster/home/testlink failed: No such file or directory
2008-11-17 21:08:41 E
[afr-self-heal-metadata.c:296:afr_sh_metadata_sync_cbk] home: setting
attributes failed for /testlink on posix-locks-home1 (No such file or
directory)
2008-11-17 21:08:41 W [posix.c:1240:posix_utimens] home1: utimes on
/gluster/home/testlink: No such file or directory
2008-11-17 21:08:41 E
[afr-self-heal-metadata.c:296:afr_sh_metadata_sync_cbk] home: setting
attributes failed for /testlink on posix-locks-home1 (No such file or
directory)
2008-11-17 21:08:41 W
[afr-self-heal-metadata.c:97:afr_sh_metadata_done] home: completed
self heal of /testlink
2008-11-17 21:08:41 E [posix.c:2182:posix_getxattr] home1: listxattr
failed on /gluster/home/testlink: No such file or directory

I can then remove the link from gluster and re-created it with
gluster, but again, it creates properly if it's not on any node, but
once it's on one, and it's not on the other it doesn't properly auto-heal.
the problem here is when you bring a new empty filesystem online it
should auto-heal and ultimately sync all the data to the new node,
but it can't in this scenario.

2) one of the AFR servers goes offline the permissions seem to be
wrong on all the files until the other AFR server comes back online
--this problem existed in qa 56 and 57 but seems resolved in 60

I'll keep an eye on things and report if I find anything else.
Things seem to be shaping up quite nicely.

Keith