[Gluster-users] some thoughts please on setting up a software archive based on glusterfs

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Mon Jul 28 11:57:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:15:00 -0400 (EDT)
webmaster at securitywonks.org wrote:

> Our website is based on PHP/MySQL combination. Initially, I didnot
> understand how we can input files to GlusterFS based System and how to
> trigger AFR for automatic replication etc.

File replication is triggered more or less automatically : when files
and directories in the mountpoint are interacted with via normal
everyday usage, Gluster takes care of the replication of those
interactions directly.

> I read in some document that FTP, SSH can be used for uploading files
> to GlusterFS based system.

A Gluster client process simply uses Fuse to create the mountpoint.
Once the mountpoint exists, it can be accessed just like any other
directory in the filesystem, thus any normal way of creating,
modifying, or deleting files is usable.  Basically anything that can
interact with filesystem objects can interact with a Gluster mountpoint
(FTP and SCP included).

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

> can we use php file system functions directly to deal with files
> hosted on glusterfs based system?

Yes.

--
Daniel Maher <dma AT witbe DOT net>