[Gluster-devel] Removal of use-compound-fops option in afr

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 14:04:07 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 03/04/2018 10:15 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> > Shyam,
> >     Do let me know if there is anything that needs to be done on the
> > process front.
>
> I see that use-compound-fops is now deprecated, which is something that
> users need to be aware of.
>
> So when preparing release-notes, for when this change will hit a release
> (or are you intending to backport this?), we need to call out the same.
> The process for such a change is to look for github issues across the
> commits, and will get missed if this is a bug.
>
> At times bugs are fine, but again in this case, the bug reads eager lock
> changes, and the commit is to remove compounding. So users again may not
> be aware of the change looking at the bug list.
>
> So overall, from a process (and a release) standpoint, I would have
> preferred a github issue (or a bug, which for this change seems not to
> be the case), that calls out that this feature is to be
> deprecated/disabled.

Patch is yet to be merged. I am waiting for any further comments on this
thread.
I will change the patch to use the following github issue. I also added
some history
and reasoning as to why I am of the opinion to remove it now on the issue.

https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/414

I will wait till tomorrow morning IST before merging the patch in case
there are no
further comments.

--
Pranith