[Gluster-devel] Gluster volume snapshot - Plugin architecture proposal

Rajesh Joseph joseph.rajesh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 05:17:08 UTC 2017

On Mar 22, 2017 8:00 PM, <sriram at marirs.net.in> wrote:

Hi Amar,

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017, at 04:26 AM, Amar Tumballi wrote:

Hi Sriram,
Thanks for sharing this. Just one comment below.

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM, <sriram at marirs.net.in> wrote:

Hi Raghavendra,

My name is Sriram I'd been working with Rajesh on creating a plugin
structure for snapshot functionality. Below is the document which Rajesh'd
created and I've edited the same with ideas and problems. Could you have a
look and review so that we could take it forward?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dHij_oy8V8CF2I7WfdYqKXFT
Gw0SKGzGlngDBpSwSGc/edit?usp=sharing

I am not sure if any 'code' has been written already for this. If not,
great, because we want any improvements in 'glusterd' space to come through
approval of new GlusterD <https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/wiki/Design>
design phase, so we can move away with the current glusterd.
But, looking at the design, the plugin can be pretty much be independent of
the glusterd architecture, even then better to run it through everyone
involved first.

There was a series of patches which I'd sent initially but, then Rajesh and
Avra proposed that we revisit the design once. So we'd stopped writing any
code.

https://review.gluster.org/#/c/16138/ This was the series I'd posted.  I'm
not really sure who'd be helping on this activity to get them involved in
the mail loop. I'll have a look at the GlusterD design phase approval wiki.
Let me know as how we proceed on this.

I think the Snapshot plugin architecture can be more or less independent of
glusterd design. The snapshot management module which will interact with
glusterD should be aware of the new design. With new GlusterD design the
existing snapshot code will any way need some refactoring. Therefore I
think the new plugin architecture will help the future migration to new
glusterd design.

It would be good if GlusterD team can aslo review the approach so that it
will be in sync with the new design. Will be good to hear more from
GlusterD team here.

-Rajesh