[Gluster-devel] Gluster volume snapshot - Plugin architecture proposal

sriram at marirs.net.in sriram at marirs.net.in
Wed Mar 22 14:30:58 UTC 2017

Hi Amar,

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017, at 04:26 AM, Amar Tumballi wrote:

> Hi Sriram,

> Thanks for sharing this. Just one comment below.

> On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM, <sriram at marirs.net.in> wrote:

>> __

>> Hi Raghavendra,

>> My name is Sriram I'd been working with Rajesh on creating a plugin
>> structure for snapshot functionality. Below is the document which
>> Rajesh'd created and I've edited the same with ideas and problems.
>> Could you have a look and review so that we could take it forward?
>>

>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dHij_oy8V8CF2I7WfdYqKXFTGw0SKGzGlngDBpSwSGc/edit?usp=sharing
>>

> I am not sure if any 'code' has been written already for this. If not,
> great, because we want any improvements in 'glusterd' space to come
> through approval of new GlusterD[1] design phase, so we can move away
> with the current glusterd.
> But, looking at the design, the plugin can be pretty much be
> independent of the glusterd architecture, even then better to run it
> through everyone involved first.

There was a series of patches which I'd sent initially but, then Rajesh
and Avra proposed that we revisit the design once. So we'd stopped
writing any code.

https://review.gluster.org/#/c/16138/ This was the series I'd posted.  I'm not really sure who'd be helping on this activity to get them involved in the mail loop. I'll have a look at the GlusterD design phase approval wiki. Let me know as how we proceed on this.

Sriram

> If already significant effort has been made here, then we are fine
> with continuing the effort to take these to completion.
>

> Regards,

> Amar

>> Sriram

> --