[gluster-packaging] samba-vfs-glusterfs for CentOS8

Kaleb Keithley kkeithle at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 13:17:22 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:02 AM Strahil Nikolov <hunter86_bg at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Exactly.
> It seems that there  is a  samba-vfs-glusterfs for CentOS7 from the SIG
> and also in the gluster repos,

I took a quick look at the storage SIG repos on the centos 7 mirrors and do
not see any samba-vfs-* packages anywhere.

> while no package for CentOS8.

CentOS 8 is not CentOS 7. ;-)  The version of Samba in CentOS 8 is also
much newer than what's in CentOS 7.  And as Anoop has already pointed out,
samba-vfs-glusterfs isn't included in that build. It's actually a mystery
to me why there was ever even a samba-vfs-glusterfs in CentOS 7 base.

AFAICT these must be CentOS base system packages that you are seeing. And
like everything else in CentOS base, they are copies of what's in RHEL base.

Here, in the gluster project, we don't have any control over what goes into
RHEL or CentOS base. We also don't have any say in what the Samba project
does either, as it's a whole separate project. While we have some
interaction with them they do what they want.

> So,  I have to ask someone from samba if they plan to build it  or not.
> Any hints  who can be  a  point of contact?

Samba.org? Jeremy Allison?