[Gluster-Maintainers] Lock down period merge process

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Thu Aug 9 05:24:35 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 1:25 AM Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Maintainers,
>
> The following thread talks about a merge during a merge lockdown, with
> differing view points (this mail is not to discuss the view points).
>
> The root of the problem is that we leave the current process to good
> faith. If we have a simple rule that we will not merge anything during a
> lock down period, this confusion and any future repetitions of the same
> would not occur.
>
> I propose that we follow the simpler rule, and would like to hear
> thoughts around this.
>
> This also means that in the future, we may not need to remove commit
> access for other maintainers, as we do *not* follow a good faith policy,
> and instead depend on being able to revert and announce on the threads
> why we do so.

I think it is a good opportunity to establish guidelines and process so
that we don't end up in this state in future where one needs to lock down
the branch to make it stable. From that p.o.v. discussion on this thread
about establishing a process for lock down probably doesn't add much value.
My personal opinion for this instance at least is that it is good that it
was locked down. I tend to forget things and not having the access to
commit helped follow the process automatically :-).

> Please note, if there are extraneous situations (say reported security
> vulnerabilities that need fixes ASAP) we may need to loosen up the
> stringency, as that would take precedence over the lock down. These
> exceptions though, can be called out and hence treated as such.
>
> Thoughts?

This is again my personal opinion. We don't need to merge patches in any
branch unless we need to make an immediate release with that patch. For
example if there is a security issue reported we *must* make a release with
the fix immediately so it makes sense to merge it and do the release.

> Shyam
>
> PS: Added Yaniv to the CC as he reported the deviance

Pranith