[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Release 5: Master branch health report (Week of 30th July)

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 20:22:09 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018, 10:46 PM Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/07/2018 02:58 PM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> >     The intention is to stabilize master and not add more patches that my
> >     destabilize it.
> >

> > https://review.gluster.org/#/c/20603/ has been merged.
> > As far as I can see, it has nothing to do with stabilization and should
> > be reverted.
>
> Posted this on the gerrit review as well:
>
> <snip>
> 4.1 does not have nightly tests, those run on master only.

That should change of course. We cannot strive for stability otherwise,
AFAIK.

> Stability of master does not (will not), in the near term guarantee
> stability of release branches, unless patches that impact code already
> on release branches, get fixes on master and are back ported.
>
> Release branches get fixes back ported (as is normal), this fix and its
> merge should not impact current master stability in any way, and neither
> stability of 4.1 branch.
> </snip>
>
> The current hold is on master, not on release branches. I agree that
> merging further code changes on release branches (for example geo-rep
> issues that are backported (see [1]), as there are tests that fail
> regularly on master), may further destabilize the release branch. This
> patch is not one of those.

Two issues I have with the merge:
1. It just makes comparing master branch to release branch harder. For
example, to understand if there's a test that fails on master but succeeds
on release branch, or vice versa.
2. It means we are not focused on stabilizing master branch.
Y.