[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Release 5: Master branch health report (Week of 30th July)

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 19:46:55 UTC 2018

On 08/07/2018 02:58 PM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
>     The intention is to stabilize master and not add more patches that my
>     destabilize it.
>

> https://review.gluster.org/#/c/20603/ has been merged.
> As far as I can see, it has nothing to do with stabilization and should
> be reverted.

Posted this on the gerrit review as well:

<snip>
4.1 does not have nightly tests, those run on master only.

Stability of master does not (will not), in the near term guarantee
stability of release branches, unless patches that impact code already
on release branches, get fixes on master and are back ported.

Release branches get fixes back ported (as is normal), this fix and its
merge should not impact current master stability in any way, and neither
stability of 4.1 branch.
</snip>

The current hold is on master, not on release branches. I agree that
merging further code changes on release branches (for example geo-rep
issues that are backported (see [1]), as there are tests that fail
regularly on master), may further destabilize the release branch. This
patch is not one of those.

Merging patches on release branches are allowed by release owners only,
and usual practice is keeping the backlog low (merging weekly) in these
cases as per the dashboard [1].

Allowing for the above 2 reasons this patch was found,
- Not on master
- Not stabilizing or destabilizing the release branch
and hence was merged.

If maintainers disagree I can revert the same.

Shyam

[1] Release 4.1 dashboard:
https://review.gluster.org/#/projects/glusterfs,dashboards/dashboard:4-1-dashboard