[Gluster-Maintainers] RFC: Suggestions on patches taking more than 10 tries

Jeff Darcy jeff at pl.atyp.us
Tue Oct 31 10:51:24 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017, at 01:01 AM, Amar Tumballi wrote:
> In this case, I suggest maintainers can send a message to author, and
> send an updated patch with their suggestion (with making sure '--
> author' is set to original author). This can save both the effort of
> review, and also heart burn of someone not understanding the comments
> properly.
I would really like it if we could get to the point where maintainers
(or others) could feel comfortable updating other contributors' patches,
because it really would improve our development velocity.  I've done it
very sparingly, usually only for patches that the author seemed to have
given up on, because there is a risk of people being offended.  It can
feel like someone else is trying to take control of - or even credit for
- one's own work.  To avoid this, I think we need to do two things:
(1) Thoroughly document how to update someone else's patch while
    retaining proper credit for their work, and how to accept such an
    update into one's own local repository.  This addresses the
    technical/logistical issue.
(2) Recognize new contributors as such and automatically (or at least
    semi-automatically) send them email explaining our expectations and
    standards for review etiquette - including this, but other things as
    well.  This addresses the cultural issue.