[Gluster-Maintainers] 3.8 Plan changes - proposal

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 18:07:19 UTC 2016

On 01/08/2016 11:26 AM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> On 01/07/2016 12:24 PM, Shyam wrote:
>> On 01/06/2016 09:44 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> I am considering the following changes for 3.8:
>>> 1. Include 4.0 features such as NSR, dht2, glusterd2.0 & eventing as
>>> experimental features in 3.8. 4.0 features are shaping up reasonably
>>> well and it would be nice to have them packaged in 3.8 so that we can
>>> get more meaningful feedback early on. As 4.0 features mature, we can
>>> push them out through subsequent 3.8.x releases to derive iterative
>>> feedback.
>> Agree, this would be good as we can start getting some early feedback.
>>> 2. Ensure that most of our components have tests in distaf by 3.8. I
>>> would like us to have more deterministic pre-release testing for 3.8 and
>>> having tests in distaf should help us in accomplishing that goal.
>> Agreed, this thread [1] on our dependencies and also compatibility with
>> older releases would help in better testing.
>> Do we know the effort required to make this happen? That can be a
>> determining factor in the delay or release goals.
> I view the effort as something needing moderate attention from all of
> us, mostly to identify mandatory tests needed by each of our components
> in distaf and having them populated. Niels and MS have been leading the
> charge on distaf. Additionally the team working on distaf automation in
> Red Hat is interested in contributing tests here. I am hopeful that we
> will be able to culminate all these efforts in the timeline that I
> proposed.

ok, that is good.

I view this as needed so that we beef up our release quality, so anyway 
a good goal to have.

>>> 4. Have Niels de Vos as the maintainer for 3.8 with immediate effect.
>>> This is a change from the past where we have had release maintainers
>>> after a .0 release is in place. I think Niels' diligence as a release
>>> manager will help us in having a more polished .0 release.
>> Well +1 for sure, but would leave it to ndevos on the ack ;)
>> If there is an ack, then for sure I would like to assist in any
>> governance related enabling for the release.
> Great, thank you! more help is always needed and useful :).
>>> 5. Move out 3.8 by 2-3 months (end of May or early June 2016) to
>>> accomplish these changes.
>> Can we revisit the exact month in 2 weeks? So that we have enough prep
>> time to commit what makes it to the release (for example from a DHT2
>> perspective). I know we have the MVP proposal out and that should be the
>> goal, but a little more thought would help.
>> Also, the delay by 2-3 months I would state is more due to (2) than
>> anything, (1) and (3) are desirable at this point for 3.8 and good to do.
> I would like to announce the proposed schedule to the broader community
> sooner and seek feedback about it. If we are fine with the tentative
> timeline, I intend sending out a similar note on the lists next week.

That should be fine, as I assume it will be a tentative month, and we 
scope the 4.0 features MVP, based on cut-off than completion of the 
same, so that the release is not held due to that for longer than necessary.

> -Vijay

More information about the maintainers mailing list