[Gluster-Maintainers] 3.8 Plan changes - proposal

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 21:11:31 UTC 2016

On 01/06/2016 09:44 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am considering the following changes for 3.8:
>
> 1. Include 4.0 features such as NSR, dht2, glusterd2.0 & eventing as
> experimental features in 3.8. 4.0 features are shaping up reasonably
> well and it would be nice to have them packaged in 3.8 so that we can
> get more meaningful feedback early on. As 4.0 features mature, we can
> push them out through subsequent 3.8.x releases to derive iterative
> feedback.

I like the idea of getting stuff out, tested, and used.

> 2. Ensure that most of our components have tests in distaf by 3.8. I
> would like us to have more deterministic pre-release testing for 3.8 and
> having tests in distaf should help us in accomplishing that goal.

distaf testing is good, but will we ever get any unit tests?

> 3. Add "forward compatibility" section to all feature pages proposed for
> 3.8 so that we carefully review the impact of a feature on all upcoming
> Gluster.next features.
>

> 5. Move out 3.8 by 2-3 months (end of May or early June 2016) to
> accomplish these changes.

Hmmm. I thought our releases were driven by the calendar, not features?
Or am I confusing 3.X releases with 3.X.Y releases?

Just to play the devil's advocate , what if we released 3.8 by the
original schedule with whatever is ready, and then did a 3.9 in May/June
with the new features in tech preview?