[Gluster-Maintainers] 3.8 Plan changes - proposal

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 16:26:27 UTC 2016

On 01/07/2016 12:24 PM, Shyam wrote:
> On 01/06/2016 09:44 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I am considering the following changes for 3.8:
>> 1. Include 4.0 features such as NSR, dht2, glusterd2.0 & eventing as
>> experimental features in 3.8. 4.0 features are shaping up reasonably
>> well and it would be nice to have them packaged in 3.8 so that we can
>> get more meaningful feedback early on. As 4.0 features mature, we can
>> push them out through subsequent 3.8.x releases to derive iterative
>> feedback.
> Agree, this would be good as we can start getting some early feedback.
>> 2. Ensure that most of our components have tests in distaf by 3.8. I
>> would like us to have more deterministic pre-release testing for 3.8 and
>> having tests in distaf should help us in accomplishing that goal.
> Agreed, this thread [1] on our dependencies and also compatibility with
> older releases would help in better testing.
> Do we know the effort required to make this happen? That can be a
> determining factor in the delay or release goals.

I view the effort as something needing moderate attention from all of 
us, mostly to identify mandatory tests needed by each of our components 
in distaf and having them populated. Niels and MS have been leading the 
charge on distaf. Additionally the team working on distaf automation in 
Red Hat is interested in contributing tests here. I am hopeful that we 
will be able to culminate all these efforts in the timeline that I proposed.

>> 4. Have Niels de Vos as the maintainer for 3.8 with immediate effect.
>> This is a change from the past where we have had release maintainers
>> after a .0 release is in place. I think Niels' diligence as a release
>> manager will help us in having a more polished .0 release.
> Well +1 for sure, but would leave it to ndevos on the ack ;)
> If there is an ack, then for sure I would like to assist in any
> governance related enabling for the release.

Great, thank you! more help is always needed and useful :).

>> 5. Move out 3.8 by 2-3 months (end of May or early June 2016) to
>> accomplish these changes.
> Can we revisit the exact month in 2 weeks? So that we have enough prep
> time to commit what makes it to the release (for example from a DHT2
> perspective). I know we have the MVP proposal out and that should be the
> goal, but a little more thought would help.
> Also, the delay by 2-3 months I would state is more due to (2) than
> anything, (1) and (3) are desirable at this point for 3.8 and good to do.

I would like to announce the proposed schedule to the broader community 
sooner and seek feedback about it. If we are fine with the tentative 
timeline, I intend sending out a similar note on the lists next week.


More information about the maintainers mailing list