[Gluster-Maintainers] Community Transparency [Was: Responsibilities and expectations of our maintainers]

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Tue Jun 23 15:13:06 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 23 June 2015 10:35 AM, Dan Lambright wrote:

> [...]

Yes, most of these can be automated. I already have scripts that pull
data off gerrit. bugzilla can be easily automated too, for IRC meetings
we have logs and hence pulling out statistics should not be difficult.
If we agree on the set of quantifiable metrics that we'd like to see, I
can work on making that happen.

>>> 2. Sending a report at some frequency (weekly/bi-weekly) about
>>> non-measurable aspects like happenings in our components, what we intend
>>> doing in the near to mid term etc. This could also be a good way to get
>>> more contributors to work on the immense backlog that all of us have and
>>> also help explain to the broader community about why we are doing
>>> something.
>
> A template describing the report contents would be useful. If a single person
> could take on the responsibility of reminding us to create these reports, and
> ensure they are sent and edited properly, that would also be good. This would
> be a "maintainer liaison" to the community.

That seems like a good idea, we can have this "maintainer liaison" role
rotate too. In my mind, the minimal list of things that we want to
include (since the last time the report was sent). would be:

1. Major patches that got merged with a small description of each

2. Update on ongoing development

3. Areas where we could do with community help (new development, bug
fixes, bug triage etc.)

If we think more things are needed, I would be happy to spin up a
template that we can fill in.

-Vijay

-Vijay