[Gluster-Maintainers] Community Transparency [Was: Responsibilities and expectations of our maintainers]

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Tue Jun 23 15:09:08 UTC 2015

<some comments inline below>

Reading (and re-reading) the mail thread, I wanted to add to this *list*
of practices some further observations, and hence top posting the same.

I would like maintainers (and possibly others working on Gluster) to ask
themselves the following question:
   - "What would I need/do if I was in a remote island with just a
network connection and a maintainer for some areas of Gluster?" (well, I
assume you travel to a remote island with your laptop and solar charger)

I say the above, as I am physically and time zones away from a large
group of maintainers, and there are many times, when I cannot fathom
what drives priorities or why some things are noticed, or acted upon,
and some not.

If I ask myself the above and see how I need to engage with the
community and other maintainers, the list of things Niels brings out
becomes self evident, but also the fact that we need to make efforts
done around these elements more public (responses to mails, updates to
BZs are already public, but your thoughts are not).

Currently, we need more attention to the way of working, in and with,
the community and see how to increase the outreach of all the work we
are doing, else we may induce estrangement in this space.

Shyam

On 06/19/2015 06:30 AM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> Re-kindling the discussion again on this list.
>
> I agree with everything that Niels mentions here as expectations. In
> addition I would like us to start thinking about building more
> transparency in the community on how we operate as maintainers and also
> lead by example so that it is very evident to the broader community
> about we being serious about walking the talk.
>
> I would like us to think about a small list so that it can be
> accomplished sooner than later. My top 3 for this list would be:
>
> 1. Some of the goals for maintainers are measurable: reviews completed,
> reviews outstanding, attendance in IRC meetings, bugzilla backlog,
> patches sent etc. We can send a report at some frequency
> (bi-weekly/monthly) about these aspects so that the community observes
> the quantitative aspects of our involvement.

Agree, for a more positive spin than looking like monitoring of
maintainers here, I would suggest we keep this as more a backlog of
activities. What I mean is, reviews completed vs outstanding, is more an
indicator of action to take, which is like a feedback loop for the
maintainer. On the same note, BZ backlog helps.

> 2. Sending a report at some frequency (weekly/bi-weekly) about
> non-measurable aspects like happenings in our components, what we intend
> doing in the near to mid term etc. This could also be a good way to get
> more contributors to work on the immense backlog that all of us have and
> also help explain to the broader community about why we are doing
> something.

I believe we need this done *for sure*, as otherwise cross components I
am sometimes (more often than not) clueless on happenings.

Also, tracking longer term thoughts in such a *report* would help.

I would suggest we also have an overall Gluster report on the same
lines, so that people have a common point where they can get to know
regarding the happenings across Gluster, possibly component related
happenings, can be a threaded response to the same on the lists.

> 3. Up the overall quality in a way that the community perceives it. I am
> intending to declare that all of our components need to be "distaf
> ready" over the next 3-6 months so that we have adequate coverage for
> all our components.

Agree, this would certainly help towards improving the quality of
Gluster (among other efforts). It would be good to list what the short
comings are in terms of quality and how distaf would help addressing the
same, or if we need a broader goal and see how to achieve this better or
what more could be pending.