[heketi-devel] To pass a *bolt.DB or a *bolt.Tx

Luis Pabon lpabon at chrysalix.org
Fri Mar 10 06:02:12 UTC 2017

I think the key is to keep the transactions small. If you notice, a lot of
the volume allocations pass *db to the functions so they can use the db
when needed.  Also, none of the calls in a Tx context call out to glusterfs
because it would be time consuming and single threaded.  Instead state is
saved on the db, the tx is finished, and the work can the be started on
gluster.  If there is an error or the db needs to be update, it will do it
after the completion of the work, which could have (and most likely was)
done in parallel.

I think for the PR proposed, the SetState() call could take *db instead of
*tx.  If it is the simple ones (enable/disable) then the change can be
done, and the function returns.

If it is "remove", then state of the device in the db can be changed, then
db can be released and work can be started on that device.  Then SetState()
can return to the asynchttp routine with a result.  The key thing here is
that all bricks used to replace the bricks on the removed device where
replaced in parallel.

- Luis