[Gluster-users] Proper procedure to reduce an active volume

Strahil Nikolov hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 17:15:28 UTC 2021

Replica volumes do not require the 'start + commit' - it's needed only for distributed replicated volumes and other types of volumes.
Yet, I'm not sure if removing a data brick (and keeping the arbiter) makes any sense. Usually, I just remove 1 data copy + the arbiter to  reshape the volume.
Keep in mind that as you remove a brick you need to specify the new replica count.For example you have 'replica 3 arbiter 1' and you want to remove the second copy and the arbiter:gluster volume remove-brick <VOLUME> replica 1 server2:/path/to/brick arbiter:/path/to/brick force
If you wish to reuse block devices, don't forget to rebuild the FS (as it's fastest way to cleanup)!When you increase the count (add second data brick and maybe arbiter), you should run:gluster volume add-brick <VOLUME> replica 3 arbiter 1 server4:/path/to/brick arbiter2:/path/to/brick
gluster volume heal <VOLUME> full
Best Regards,Strahil Nikolov

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 15:03, Diego Zuccato<diego.zuccato at unibo.it> wrote:   Hello all.

What is the proper procedure to reduce a "replica 3 arbiter 1" volume?

The procedure I've found is:
1) # gluster volume remove-brick VOLNAME BRICK start
(repeat for each brick to be removed, but being a r3a1 should I remove
both bricks and the arbiter in a single command or multiple ones?)
2) # gluster volume remove-brick VOLNAME BRICK status
(to monitor migration)
3) # gluster volume remove-brick VOLNAME BRICK commit
(to finalize the removal)
4) umount and reformat the freed (now unused) bricks
Is this safe?

And once the bricks are removed I'll have to distribute arbiters across
the current two data servers and a new one (currently I'm using a
dedicated VM just for the arbiters). But that's another pie :)

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia

Community Meeting Calendar: