[Gluster-users] Proper procedure to reduce an active volume

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Wed Feb 3 13:03:07 UTC 2021

Hello all.

What is the proper procedure to reduce a "replica 3 arbiter 1" volume?

The procedure I've found is:
1) # gluster volume remove-brick VOLNAME BRICK start
(repeat for each brick to be removed, but being a r3a1 should I remove
both bricks and the arbiter in a single command or multiple ones?)
2) # gluster volume remove-brick VOLNAME BRICK status
(to monitor migration)
3) # gluster volume remove-brick VOLNAME BRICK commit
(to finalize the removal)
4) umount and reformat the freed (now unused) bricks
Is this safe?

And once the bricks are removed I'll have to distribute arbiters across
the current two data servers and a new one (currently I'm using a
dedicated VM just for the arbiters). But that's another pie :)

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia