[Gluster-users] Replication logic

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Sun Dec 27 13:05:25 UTC 2020

Il 2020-12-27 03:00 Zenon Panoussis ha scritto:
> The goal: a resilient and geographically distributed mailstore. A
> mail server is a very dynamic thing, with files being written, moved
> and deleted all the time. You can put the mailstore on a SAN and
> access it from multiple SMTP and IMAP servers, but if the SAN goes
> down, everything is down. What I am trying to do is to distribute
> the mailstore over several locations and internet connections that
> function completely independently of each-other.

Hi, I don't think Gluster is the correct tool for the job: sync
replication and file lookups will suffer tremendously due to the high
latency WAN links, grinding all to an halt. Geo-replication should be
out of question, because it is a read-only copy from source to dest
(unless things changed recently).

For such a project, I would simply configure the SMTP server do to
protocol-specific replication and use a low-TTL DNS name to publish the
IMAP/Web frontends.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan