[Gluster-users] Replica 2 to replica 3

Valerio Luccio valerio.luccio at nyu.edu
Thu Apr 9 19:22:06 UTC 2020

On 4/9/20 12:47 PM, Strahil Nikolov wrote:

> On April 9, 2020 5:16:47 PM GMT+03:00, Valerio Luccio <valerio.luccio at nyu.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm afraid I still need some help.
>>
>> When I originally set up my gluster (about 3 years ago), I set it up as
>>
>> Distributed-Replicated without specifying a replica count and I believe
>>
>> that defaulted to a replica 2. I have 4 servers with 3 RAIDs attached
>> each server. This was my result:
>>
>>     Number of Bricks: 6 x 2 = 12
>>     Transport-type: tcp
>>     Bricks:
>>     Brick1: hydra1:/gluster1/data
>>     Brick2: hydra1:/gluster2/data
>>     Brick3: hydra1:/gluster3/data
>>     Brick4: hydra2:/gluster1/data
>>     Brick5: hydra2:/gluster2/data
>>     Brick6: hydra2:/gluster3/data
>>     Brick7: hydra3:/gluster1/data
>>     Brick8: hydra3:/gluster2/data
>>     Brick9: hydra3:/gluster3/data
>>     Brick10: hydra4:/gluster1/data
>>     Brick11: hydra4:/gluster2/data
>>     Brick12: hydra4:/gluster3/data
>>
>> If I understand this correctly I have 6 sub-volumes with Brick2 replica
>>
>> of Brick1, Brick4 of Brick3, etc. Correct ?
>>
>> I realize now that it would probably have been better to specify a
>> different order, but now I cannot change it.
>>
>> Now I want to store oVirt images on the Gluster and it requires either
>> replica 1 or replica 3. I need to be able to reuse the bricks I have
>> and
>> was planning to remove some bricks, initialize them and add them back
>> as
>> a replica 3.
>>
>> Am I supposed to remove 6 bricks, one from each sub-volume ? Will that
>> work ? Will I lose storage space ? Can I just remove a brick from each
>> server and use those for the replica 3 ?
>>
>> Thanks for all the help.
> Hi Valerio,
>
> You can find a small system and make  it an arbiter ,  so you will end up with 'replica 3  arbiter 1' .
>
> The arbiter  storage calculation is that you need  4K for each file in the volume.If you don't know them  the general rule of thumb is your arbiter brick be 1/1024 the size of the data brick.
>
> Keep in mind that it will be better  if your  arbiter has an SSD (for example mounted on /gluster) from which you can create 6 directories.The arbiter stores  only metadata and the SSD random access performance will be the optimal approach.
>
> Something like:
> arbiter:/gluster/data1
> arbiter:/gluster/data2
> arbiter:/gluster/data3
> arbiter:/gluster/data4
> arbiter:/gluster/data5
> arbiter:/gluster/data6
>

> Of course , proper testing on a test volume is a good approach before  implementing on prod.
>
> Best Regards,
> Strahil Nikolov

Thanks,

that sounds like a great idea.

--
As a result of Coronavirus-related precautions, NYU and the Center for
Brain Imaging operations will be managed remotely until further notice.
at valerio.luccio at nyu.edu
For TMS/EEG-related emergency, please contact: Chrysa Papadaniil at
chrysa at nyu.edu
For CBI-related administrative emergency, please contact: Jennifer
Mangan at jennifer.mangan at nyu.edu

Valerio Luccio 		(212) 998-8736
Center for Brain Imaging 		4 Washington Place, Room 158
New York University 		New York, NY 10003

    "In an open world, who needs windows or gates ?"