[Gluster-users] Bitrot: Time of signing depending on the file size???

Amudhan P amudhan83 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 13:57:49 UTC 2019

Hi David,

Once after file write completes (fd closed) bitrot process will wait for
120 seconds and if there no fd is opened for the file it will trigger the
signer process.

considering the signer, process start and end time file read speed was <
250KB/s.

To increase bitrot signer read speed need to modify the bitrot source file.

regards
Amudhan

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 5:49 PM David Spisla <spisla80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Amudhan,
>
> What does exactly mean "it takes < 250KB/s"?
> I figured out this discussion between you and Kotresh:
> https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-September/028354.html
> Kotresh mentioned there that the problem is because for some files fd
> process are still up in the brick process list. Bitrot signer can only sign
> a file if the fd is closed. And according to my observations it seems to be
> that as bigger a file is as longer the fd is still up. I could verify this
> with a 500MiB file and some smaller files. After a specific time only the
> fd for the 500MiB was up and the file still had no signature, for the
> smaller files there were no fds and they already had a signature.
>
> Does anybody know what is the reason for this? For me it looks loke a bug.
>
> Regards
> David
>
> Am Fr., 1. März 2019 um 08:58 Uhr schrieb Amudhan P <amudhan83 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I have also tested the bitrot signature process by default it takes < 250
>> KB/s.
>>
>> regards
>> Amudhan P
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 1:19 PM David Spisla <spisla80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> I did some observations concerning the bitrot daemon. It seems to be
>>> that the bitrot signer is signing files depending on file size. I copied
>>> files with different sizes into a volume and I was wonderung because the
>>> files get their signature not the same time (I keep the expiry time default
>>> with 120). Here are some examples:
>>>
>>> 300 KB file ~2-3 m
>>> 70 MB file ~ 40 m
>>> 115 MB file ~ 1 Sh