[Gluster-users] Gluster and bonding

Jorick Astrego jorick at netbulae.eu
Mon Feb 25 09:27:11 UTC 2019

Hi,

We use bonding mode 6 (balance-alb) for GlusterFS traffic

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_gluster_storage/3.4/html/administration_guide/network4

    Preferred bonding mode for Red Hat Gluster Storage client is mode 6
    (balance-alb), this allows client to transmit writes in parallel on
    separate NICs much of the time.

Regards,

Jorick Astrego

On 2/25/19 5:41 AM, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:
> 23.02.2019 19:54, Alex K пишет:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a replica 3 setup where each server was configured with a dual
>> interfaces in mode 6 bonding. All cables were connected to one common
>> network switch.
>>
>> To add redundancy to the switch, and avoid being a single point of
>> failure, I connected each second cable of each server to a second
>> switch. This turned out to not function as gluster was refusing to
>> start the volume logging "transport endpoint is disconnected"
>> although all nodes were able to reach each other (ping) in the
>> storage network. I switched the mode to mode 1 (active/passive) and
>> initially it worked but following a reboot of all cluster same issue
>> appeared. Gluster is not starting the volumes.
>>
>> Isn't active/passive supposed to work like that? Can one have such
>> redundant network setup or are there any other recommended approaches?
>>

> Yes, we use lacp, I guess this is mode 4 ( we use teamd ), it is, no
> doubt, best way.
>

>> Thanx,
>> Alex

Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Netbulae Virtualization Experts

	Tel: 053 20 30 270 	info at netbulae.eu 	Staalsteden 4-3A 	KvK 08198180
 	Fax: 053 20 30 271 	www.netbulae.eu 	7547 TA Enschede 	BTW NL821234584B01