[Gluster-users] vfs_gluster broken

Anoop C S anoopcs at autistici.org
Wed Sep 12 05:42:47 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 15:10 -0600, Terry McGuire wrote:
> Hello list.  I had happily been sharing a Gluster volume with Samba using vfs_gluster, but it has
> recently stopped working right.  I think it might have been after updating Samba from 4.6.2 to
> 4.7.1 (as part of updating CentOS 7.4 to 7.5). The shares suffer a variety of weird issues,
> including:
>
> - sporadic connection refusals (credentials are accepted as valid, but volume is unavailable)

Does that mean after authentication share is not at all listed?

> - on Mac, when attempting to write a file: "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected
> error occurred (error code -50)."

How is this write performed? via Finder or via command-line?

> - on Windows, sometimes when writing and sometimes when reading: "Z:\ is not accessible. The
> parameter is incorrect"

How is this write performed? via Explorer or Powershell?

> -on Mac and Windows, the contents of the volume in Finder/Explorer windows sometimes disappears,
> sometimes reappearing later, sometimes not.
> - on Mac (and similar on Windows), volume icon sometimes disappears - maybe the volume unmounts,
> but it's unclear.

Is this a clustered Samba setup i.e, with CTDB for high availability?

> All these issues vanish when I switch to sharing the FUSE-mounted volume, but, of course, I lose
> the advantages of vfs_gluster.

Can you please attach the output of `testparm -s` so as to look through how Samba is setup?

> My gluster version initially was 3.10.12.  I’ve since updated to gluster 3.12.13, but the symptoms
> are the same.
>
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?

All mentioned symptoms point towards a disconnection. We need to find out the origin of this
disconnection. What do we have in logs under /var/log/samba/? Any errors?