[Gluster-users] does your samba work with 4.1.x (centos 7.5)

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 19:57:49 UTC 2018

On 11/9/18 10:19 AM, Diego Remolina wrote:
> Hmmm yes and no...

Yes and no what?

That samba comes from the CentOS-Base/updates repo.

If you don't use the Storage SIG you will get glusterfs 3.8.4,
client-side only; also from the CentOS-Base/updates repo.

That samba's rpm (.spec file) says it Requires: GlusterFS > 3.4, but in
all likelihood it was built with GlusterFS 3.8.4 from the Base/updates repo.

But the original question was about EPEL, and there is no version of
Samba or GlusterFS in EPEL. Enable the EPEL repo and disable the
Base/updates repo and try `yumdownloader samba\*` or `yumdownloader
glusterfs\*`. You won't get anything.

And if we extrapolate to the CentOS Storage SIG, there's still no
version of Samba there either. It would be nice if there was, but there
isn't.

> Have had problems with samba 4.7.x from Centos repos and Gluster
> 3.10.x when using plugin vfs gluster to access shares so I had to use
> fuse mounts and point samba to fuse mounts.
>
> I tried an upgrade to glusterfs 4.1.5 a couple days ago and samba
> worked with it but still using fuse mounts, not vfs gluster.
>
> A while back a combination of samba vfs plugin ans gluster broke the
> use of Autodesk Revit files stored in gluster. However since I am
> still running 3.10.12, I am not able to open any bug reports or
> anything given it is no longer supported. I was hopping to do that
> with gluster 4.1.5, but had to roll back to 3.10.12.
>
> These are my current rpms (one version behind in samba) from Centos:
>
> rpm -qa | grep samba
> samba-client-libs-4.7.1-6.el7.x86_64
> samba-common-4.7.1-6.el7.noarch
> samba-common-libs-4.7.1-6.el7.x86_64
> samba-4.7.1-6.el7.x86_64
> samba-vfs-glusterfs-4.7.1-6.el7.x86_64
> samba-libs-4.7.1-6.el7.x86_64
> samba-common-tools-4.7.1-6.el7.x86_64
>
> rpm -qa | grep gluster
> glusterfs-api-3.10.12-1.el7.x86_64
> glusterfs-3.10.12-1.el7.x86_64
> glusterfs-client-xlators-3.10.12-1.el7.x86_64
> centos-release-gluster310-1.0-1.el7.centos.noarch
> glusterfs-fuse-3.10.12-1.el7.x86_64
> glusterfs-server-3.10.12-1.el7.x86_64
> samba-vfs-glusterfs-4.7.1-6.el7.x86_64
> glusterfs-libs-3.10.12-1.el7.x86_64
> glusterfs-rdma-3.10.12-1.el7.x86_64
> libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-gluster-3.9.0-14.el7_5.8.x86_64
> glusterfs-cli-3.10.12-1.el7.x86_64
>

> Diego
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:09 AM Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <kkeithle at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/9/18 8:12 AM, lejeczek wrote:
>>> hi guys
>>>
>>> I presume because 4.1.x has been in EPEL repo it is confirmed and
>>> validated to work 100% with default samba installation.
>>
>> GlusterFS — any version — is _not_ in EPEL.
>>
>> However it is in the CentOS Storage SIG.
>>

>>> But, I'd prefer to here you guys say you ACTUALLY have your samba work
>>> 100% with 4.1.x. Anybody?
>>
>> Nobody has built Samba in the CentOS Storage SIG with GlusterFS support.
>> Not for a long time anyway. The last time it was built was over four
>> years ago — for el6.
>>
>> It would be great if someone in one of the Gluster, Samba, or CentOS
>> communities would start building it on a regular basis.
>>
>> Any volunteers?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kaleb

Kaleb