[Gluster-users] gluster becomes too slow, need frequent stop-start or reboot

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 06:41:40 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 10:01 AM Anh Vo <vtqanh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone able to help us troubleshoot this issue? This is getting worse. We
> are back to our 3-replica setup but the issue is still happening. What we
> have found is that if I just bring one set of bricks offline. For example
> if I have (0 1 2) (3 4 5) (6 7 8) (9 10 11) and if I take the bricks 0 3 6
> 9, or bricks 1 4 7 10 offline then performance is super fast. The moment
> all bricks are online things become very slow. It seems like gluster is
> having some sort of lock contention between its members. During the period
> of slowness gluster profile would show excessive time spent in LOOKUP,
> FINODELK

Have you checked if a self-heal is in progress to resync data after the
bricks are all online? Healing can impact performance of user applications
owing to contention and once the system reaches a steady state, the
performance should improve.

>      11.60     752.64 us      10.00 us 2647757.00 us      272476323
> LOOKUP
>      15.83    6884.12 us      29.00 us 2190470.00 us       40626259
>  WRITE
>      27.84   80480.22 us      40.00 us 11731910.00 us        6114072
> FXATTROP
>      37.83  105125.18 us      12.00 us 276088722.00 us        6359515
> FINODELK
>
> We have about one or two months before we need to make a decision to keep
> Gluster and so far it has been a lot of headache.

Detailed bug reports, RFEs in github and/or patches that can help Gluster
work better for your use case are welcome!

Thanks,
Vijay