[Gluster-users] Re-adding an existing brick to a volume

Mitja Mihelič mitja.mihelic at arnes.si
Sun Feb 25 09:37:28 UTC 2018

Hi!

I am running a replica 3 volume. On server2 I wanted to move the brick
to a new disk.
I removed the brick from the volume:
gluster volume remove-brick VOLUME rep 2
server2:/gluster/VOLUME/brick0/brick force

I unmounted the old brick and mounted the new disk to the same location.
I added the empty new brick to the volume:
gluster volume add-brick VOLUME rep 3 server2:/gluster/VOLUME/brick0/brick

There is about 2TB of data on the volume and they are all small files,
photos and documents. The whole heal process is rather slow. In 10 hours
only 120GB was copied to the new brick.
I remove the new brick:
gluster volume remove-brick VOLUME rep 2
server2:/gluster/VOLUME/brick0/brick force

I remounted the old brick in its place. Now I would like to re-add the
existing old brick back to the volume, so I have a replica 3 again.
But the add operation fails with:
volume add-brick: failed: /gluster/VOLUME/brick0/brick is already part
of a volume

How can I re-add this brick back to the volume, and how save is it? Can
I use force to add it?
There has been little to no data change on the volume since the old
brick was removed in the first place.

Kind regards,
Mitja