[Gluster-users] Geo replication snapshot error

Marcus Pedersén marcus.pedersen at slu.se
Wed Feb 21 08:31:30 UTC 2018

Hi all,
I use gluster 3.12 on centos 7.
I am writing a snapshot program for my geo-replicated cluster.
Now when I started to run tests with my application I have found
a very strange behavior regarding geo-replication in gluster.

I have setup my geo-replication according to the docs:
http://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Geo%20Replication/

Both master and slave clusters are replicated with just two
machines (VM) and no arbiter.

I have setup a geo-user (called geouser) and do not use
root as the geo user, as specified in the docs.

Both my master and slave volumes are named: vol

If I pause the geo-replication with:
gluster volume geo-replication vol geouser at ggluster1-geo::vol pause
Pausing geo-replication session between vol & geouser at ggluster1-geo::vol has been successful

Create a snapshot:
gluster snapshot create my_snap_no_1000 vol
snapshot create: success: Snap my_snap_no_1000-2018.02.21-07.45.32 created successfully

Resume geo-replication:
gluster volume geo-replication vol geouser at ggluster1-geo::vol resume
Resuming geo-replication session between vol & geouser at ggluster1-geo::vol has been successful

Everything works fine!

But here comes the problem:
If I by accident spell my slave user wrong or don't use
the user at all, as I was using root,
no matter what user I write pause/resume do NOT report
any errors. The answer is always pausing/resuming successful.
The problem comes after a successful pause when I try to
create a snapshot. It fails with:
snapshot create: failed: geo-replication session is running for the volume vol. Session needs to be stopped before taking a snapshot.

gluster volume geo-replication status
MASTER NODE    MASTER VOL    MASTER BRICK    SLAVE USER    SLAVE                               SLAVE NODE    STATUS    CRAWL STATUS    LAST_SYNCED
ggluster1      vol           /gluster        geouser       ssh://geouser@ggluster1-geo::vol    N/A           Paused    N/A             N/A
ggluster2      vol           /gluster        geouser       ssh://geouser@ggluster1-geo::vol    N/A           Paused    N/A             N/A

After this snapshots fails all the time!
If I use the correct user again and pause, no error (paused), snapshot fails.
If I resume with correct user, no errors (active).
Geo-replication still works fine, but some how has something
gone wrong so snapshots fail.
After restart of glusterd in all machines it starts to work again.

Here is complete run through:

gluster volume geo-replication status

MASTER NODE    MASTER VOL    MASTER BRICK    SLAVE USER    SLAVE                               SLAVE NODE       STATUS     CRAWL STATUS       LAST_SYNCED
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ggluster1      vol           /gluster        geouser       ssh://geouser@ggluster1-geo::vol    ggluster1-geo    Active     Changelog Crawl    2018-02-12 15:49:57
ggluster2      vol           /gluster        geouser       ssh://geouser@ggluster1-geo::vol    ggluster2-geo    Passive    N/A                N/A

# Using wrong user: abc
gluster volume geo-replication vol abc at ggluster1-geo::vol pause
Pausing geo-replication session between vol & abc at ggluster1-geo::vol has been successful

gluster volume geo-replication status

MASTER NODE    MASTER VOL    MASTER BRICK    SLAVE USER    SLAVE                               SLAVE NODE    STATUS    CRAWL STATUS    LAST_SYNCED
ggluster1      vol           /gluster        geouser       ssh://geouser@ggluster1-geo::vol    N/A           Paused    N/A             N/A
ggluster2      vol           /gluster        geouser       ssh://geouser@ggluster1-geo::vol    N/A           Paused    N/A             N/A

gluster snapshot create snap_vol_1000 vol
snapshot create: failed: geo-replication session is running for the volume vol. Session needs to be stopped before taking a snapshot.

# Using wrong user: abc
gluster volume geo-replication vol abc at ggluster1-geo::vol resume
Resuming geo-replication session between vol & ggluster1-geo::vol has been successful

gluster volume geo-replication status

MASTER NODE    MASTER VOL    MASTER BRICK    SLAVE USER    SLAVE                               SLAVE NODE       STATUS     CRAWL STATUS       LAST_SYNCED
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ggluster1      vol           /gluster        geouser       ssh://geouser@ggluster1-geo::vol    ggluster1-geo    Active     Changelog Crawl    2018-02-12 15:49:57
ggluster2      vol           /gluster        geouser       ssh://geouser@ggluster1-geo::vol    ggluster2-geo    Passive    N/A                N/A

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards
Marcus

* Marcus Pedersén                                *
* System administrator                           *
* Interbull Centre                               *
* Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics — SLU *
* Box 7023, SE-750 07                            *
* Uppsala, Sweden                                *
* Visiting address:                              *
* Room 55614, Ulls väg 26, Ultuna                *
* Uppsala                                        *
* Sweden                                         *
* Tel: +46-(0)18-67 1962                         *