[Gluster-users] Fwd: gluster performance

Ben Turner bturner at redhat.com
Fri Feb 16 20:07:45 UTC 2018

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Ryan Wilkinson" <ryan at centriserve.net>
To: Bturner at redhat.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:46:10 PM
Subject: gluster performance

I have a 3 host gluster replicated cluster that is providing storage for our RHEV environment.  We've been having issues with inconsistent performance from the VMs depending on which Hypervisor they are running on.  I've confirmed throughput to be ~9Gb/s to each of the storage hosts from the hypervisors.  I'm getting ~300MB/s disk read spead when our test vm is on the slow Hypervisors and over 500 on the faster ones.  The performance doesn't seem to be affected much by the cpu, memory that are in the hypervisors.  I have tried a couple of really old boxes and got over 500 MB/s.  The common thread seems to be that the poorly perfoming hosts all have Dell's Idrac 7 Enterprise.  I have one Hypervisor that has Idrac 7 express and it performs well.  We've compared system packages and versions til we're blue in the face and have been struggling with this for a couple months but that seems to be the only common denominator.  I've tried on one of those Idrac 7 hosts to disable the nic, virtual drive, etc, etc. but no change in performance.
Ryan Wilkinson, Sales Engineer
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CFC38F.41FEC8F0]
2312 West 700 South #2 | Springville, UT 84663
CelL: 801-358-2816 | AZ Tel: 480-535-6686<tel:480.535-6686>  x300 | UT Tel: 385-325-0010 |Fax: 801-326-6051<tel:801.326.6051>
ryan at centriserve.net<mailto:ryan at centriserve.net>