[Gluster-users] geo-replication

Marcus Pedersén marcus.pedersen at slu.se
Tue Feb 6 11:09:40 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I am planning my new gluster system and tested things out in
a bunch of virtual machines.
I need a bit of help to understand how geo-replication behaves.

I have a master gluster cluster replica 2
(in production I will use an arbiter and replicatied/distributed)
and the geo cluster is distributed with 2 machines.
(in production I will have the geo cluster distributed)

Everything is up and running and creating files from client both
replicates and is distributed in the geo cluster.

The thing I am wondering about is:
When I run: gluster volume geo-replication status
I see both slave nodes one is active and the other is passive.

MASTER NODE    MASTER VOL     MASTER BRICK    SLAVE USER    SLAVE                                          SLAVE NODE      STATUS     CRAWL STATUS       LAST_SYNCED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gluster1       interbullfs    /interbullfs    geouser       ssh://geouser@gluster-geo1::interbullfs-geo    gluster-geo2    Active     Changelog Crawl    2018-02-06 11:46:08
gluster2       interbullfs    /interbullfs    geouser       ssh://geouser@gluster-geo1::interbullfs-geo    gluster-geo1    Passive    N/A                N/A

If I shutdown the active slave the status changes to faulty
and the other one continues to be passive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gluster1       interbullfs    /interbullfs    geouser       ssh://geouser@gluster-geo1::interbullfs-geo    N/A             Faulty     N/A             N/A
gluster2       interbullfs    /interbullfs    geouser       ssh://geouser@gluster-geo1::interbullfs-geo    gluster-geo1    Passive    N/A             N/A

In my understanding I thought that if the active slave stopped
working the passive slave should become active and should
continue to replicate from master.

Am I wrong? Is there just one active slave if it is setup as
a distributed system?

What I use:
Centos 7, gluster 3.12
I have followed the geo instructions:
http://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Geo%20Replication/

Many thanks in advance!

Bets regards
Marcus

* Marcus Pedersén                                *
* System administrator                           *
* Interbull Centre                               *
* Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics — SLU *
* Box 7023, SE-750 07                            *
* Uppsala, Sweden                                *
* Visiting address:                              *
* Room 55614, Ulls väg 26, Ultuna                *
* Uppsala                                        *
* Sweden                                         *
* Tel: +46-(0)18-67 1962                         *